“Wow! I didn’t know that about Disney!”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Wow! I didn’t know that about Disney!”

Drew’s watching one of his fantasy shows about a crew of time travelers who kidnap President Richard Nixon to take him to Disney World.

”Really? Why Disney World?” I asked.

Because that’s where Nixon delivered his infamous “I am not a crook” speech to the Associated Press Managing Editors in a meeting room at the Contemporary as the Watergate scandal was getting intense.

It was in November 1973, just over two years after the CR opened. Nixon resigned from office barely 9 months later.

ETA: C’mon, gang! Add something you didn’t know that wowed you.

Bet ya can.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 04-14-2019, 04:45 PM.
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

I’m a huge fan of the Contemporary and came across a website for it several years ago and I recall reading about that.
    CINDY

17 Trips to WDW and counting!
    1st Sister’s Trip-September 8th-14th, 2019!😊
    Granddaughter’s 1st trip-September 20-26, 2020!🥳
    8 Weeks till WDW!!! Woohoo!!😁

Comment

I'm stealing your title. Wow, I didn't know that about Disney! I bet my kids would find that interesting. They like both WDW and history. Thanks for the info.
      -Ecmommy
      https://glutenfreebirdie.com/

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. -Walt Disney

Previous trips Feb 1996 Poly, Aug 2010 GF, Aug 2013 WL, Aug 2016 Swan, Aug 2018 Poly, Feb 2019 ASMU, Aug 2019 DL??????

Comment

I had no idea. Not sure these wowed me but Walt's original concept/idea for the Jungle Cruise was for it to have actual living animals. Also, Walt brought actual animals in to the studio so the animators could watch/study how they really moved.

Comment

• Her Dotness
          Her Dotness commented
          Editing a comment
          He really thought actual animals could somehow be used?

Wowed me, although maybe I’m just easily impressed.

Originally posted by revral View Post
        I had no idea. Not sure these wowed me but Walt's original concept/idea for the Jungle Cruise was for it to have actual living animals. Also, Walt brought actual animals in to the studio so the animators could watch/study how they really moved.
        That would have been neat! except maybe not real alligators in the river, Yikes!
        -Ecmommy
        https://glutenfreebirdie.com/

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. -Walt Disney

Previous trips Feb 1996 Poly, Aug 2010 GF, Aug 2013 WL, Aug 2016 Swan, Aug 2018 Poly, Feb 2019 ASMU, Aug 2019 DL??????

Comment

• revral
          revral commented
          Editing a comment
          I could deal with real alligators but I have no desire to get up close and personal with a real rhino.

We watch Legends of Tomorrow, too, and I was totally surprised that CR had been the location for that speech by Nixon. Fascinating!
        Cam
        27 Trips to WDW
        2 Trips to DLR
        2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
        1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

I remember hearing or reading that somewhere - it's a neat fact.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

OMG, I had no idea that's where Nixon gave that speech! What a great piece of trivia! Mine isn't as fascinating as that one, but it took me a while to figure out that there are no restrooms in Liberty Square. You gotta go around to Fantasyland to get to the nearest ones.
            Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018

Comment

• Her Dotness
              Her Dotness commented
              Editing a comment
              Another Liberty Square factoid that goes along with no restrooms and is kinda gross—

The brown pavement several feet wide along each walkway is intended to suggest the raw sewage that flowed in the streets of Colonial America. People got up in the morning and dumped their chamberpot contents out the window into the street.

Add to that what all those horses left in the streets, and you had a yucky mess that was bad even in dry weather when traffic stirred up truly nasty dust.

• joelsmom
              joelsmom commented
              Editing a comment
              I understand about the authenticity of the Liberty Square area, but at Epcot, the American Adventure pavilion has restrooms attached, and most of the theming of that area is colonial, too. Sooooo

• Cam22
              Cam22 commented
              Editing a comment
              I just always figured that the Adventureland Breezeway restrooms were for both Adventureland and Liberty Square.

I don't know where I heard it but I knew about Nixon years ago. Supposedly the Beatles were at the Polynesian when I think John Lennon wanted out. It could have been just John himself. It's one of those things I heard about but because I didn't really care one way or the other, it's not something I fully remember.
            Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Comment

I vaguely remember that.
              That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
              WDW Sept 1995 Contemporary - July 1997 & July 1998 Polynesian - July 2000, July 2003 & May 2019 Grand Floridian

Comment

Didn't know that about Nixon!

I took the Walk In Walt's Disneyland Footsteps and Haunted Holidays tours a couple years ago, and learned lots of cool things.

For instance:
                -Walt wanted Haunted Mansion to be a creepy, scary place, not really a ride, but was talked out of it.
                -Walt and Lily were starting to build a new apartment over the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland when Walt died unexpectedly during surgery. That area became an art gallery for awhile, but is now the Dream Suite, which is gorgeous and amazing. It's been recreated and decorated much the way they'd planned, and has reproductions of many of their keepsakes and souvenirs from their travels (I wrote a story about it for the PassPorter newsletter a couple years ago).
                -"it's a small world" at Disneyland has a tribute to its artist, Mary Blair, on the back of its Eiffel Tower (but not in the WDW version).
                WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. Living in Florida now--lost count!
                DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Comment

Here's another one. The rug with the seal of the United States in The Hall of President is one of only three. The other two are in the oval office in the white house and (if I'm remembering correctly) one of the Smithsonian museums.

Comment

Loving all these facts!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Does everyone here know about how the rain water falls onto Spaceship Earth and into a funneling system to be recycled for use in the World Showcase lagoon? I think that's an interesting little fact, and it's why you don't have to worry about getting water dumped all over around Spaceship Earth during the Florida rain.
                      Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018

Comment

Did you know there are 3 reasons why the sidewalks are red on Main Street USA? For safety (so you definitely notice the street from the sidewalk), for photography (the red makes the sky look more blue), and Walt wanted guests to feel like they were getting the red carpet treatment.
                        CINDY

17 Trips to WDW and counting!
                        1st Sister’s Trip-September 8th-14th, 2019!😊
                        Granddaughter’s 1st trip-September 20-26, 2020!🥳
                        8 Weeks till WDW!!! Woohoo!!😁

Comment

Working...
                        X