Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which would/did you choose for a resort-only stay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would/did you choose for a resort-only stay?

Quite a lot of us have been to WDW many times and—let’s face it—the must-do-parks urge does wear off somewhat after years of returning.

We’re spending two nights at Boulder Ridge at the end of our stay this trip after we’ve used our park tickets to see if we like a resort-only stay enough to try that sometime.

The reasons why we’re doing our fancier VGF one first are that it’s our home resort and more convenient to get to the parks we enjoy.

We so often go home needing a vacation to rest up that we thought we’d see how a couple nights at BRV, which is more secluded, might enable us to unwind before heading home. No more park-going, Just hanging out around BRV and WL—a potluck ADR if we feel like it, or not. We’ll have a full kitchen, and cooking is FUN for me. We’re often both tired of eating and of restaurant food by stay’s end. Maybe touring resorts to see which have Christmas decorations up, or not.

Your choice(s) and why?
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

We've never done it, but if I were going going to, I'd pic WL or Poly. or one of the EPCOT resorts. I might, given the no-park thing, go to AKL (and I don't like AKL - but that's due to the service we've gotten there and the fold out sofa in the DVC is HARD.

Comment

I've never done it and never will. I'm just not the type that enjoys hanging around the hotel or pool or beach all day every, most or even a quarter to half the days of a trip and if I'm being brutally honest would end up incredibly bored very quickly. Plus to me it seems like a waste of money as I can hang around the house all day with all the conveniences of home and not have to pay hundreds or even thousands in addition to my normal bills/expenses for the privilege of doing so.

Comment

Dot, I think that's a great idea to try it out for the last couple days of a trip!
        I have often said to DH that one of these days we should try a resort only stay. While I enjoy the parks, i cannot stand the crowds, and year after year, they are just getting more and more crowded. I think it would be fun to plan time at different resorts, Disney Springs, the Boardwalk... And enjoying the different recreational activities the resorts have to offer.
        ~ Donna

Past trips: 1991-Dixie Landings, 1994- Off site, 2004 - POR, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - POFQ, 2011 - POR, 2012 - BLT, 2013 - BCV, 2015 - BWV, 2016 - BWV, 2017 - BLT, 2018 - OKW, 2018 - BWV/AKL

Comment

• Her Dotness
          Her Dotness commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, then...which resort(s) might you choose?

Thanks for the rave. :-)

Oh yeah, forgot the actual question!
        I would have to say BLT because i would enjoy hopping the monorail resorts.
        And BWV for access to the resorts around Crescent Lake.
        These are two of our favorite resorts anyway. BLT is our first home resort, and we are in the process of buying a small contract at BWV.
        ~ Donna

Past trips: 1991-Dixie Landings, 1994- Off site, 2004 - POR, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - POFQ, 2011 - POR, 2012 - BLT, 2013 - BCV, 2015 - BWV, 2016 - BWV, 2017 - BLT, 2018 - OKW, 2018 - BWV/AKL

Comment

Most of my solo trips, start out with no park because that is my arrival day. I end it with my departure day not going to a park, but trying a new place for breakfast. With this trip coming around the corner, I had planned a non-park day in the middle of my week, but UCT had a Great deal for a 6 day park pass. I like the new set-up, but if I had an extra day at the end, it still would be nice to unwind more. Things I wouldn't get to do since I would be going to the parks.

I like your idea, Dot. Except the cooking part.... Kate does not cook when in Disney...lol

For me it wouldn't be just the resort I would be staying, but visiting other resorts that I haven't visited in a long time. But if you need a definite resort, then the Polynesian and hanging out by Trader Sam's.... now that sounds really relaxing...lol
          1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach, 2015 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Pop Century, 2016 Disneyland, 2017 Port Orleans French Quarter, 2018 Boardwalk Inn, 2018 All Star Music with the Heidke Family!

Comment

We've never done it and I doubt we would, as we enjoy the parks too much - even if it's just to have a walk around or a meal in there. If we did, it would probably be Animal Kingdom Lodge, as you can immerse yourself in the theming, but one of those waterfront cabins at Copper Creek would be very tempting too.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

I would probably pick OKW. I love the atmosphere there, the Jimmy Buffett music playing and just the"laid back" feeling. Plus, walking or taking a friendship boat right to DS for shopping or dining or even entertainment options..
              ​​​​​

Comment

I've never done that and I don't think I could be there and not go to a park. Anyways, if I had to choose one I'd say Yacht Club mainly because of the pool.
                "Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." ~ Walt Disney

Previous trips: June 1994 (offsite); July 1996 (offsite); May 2006 (offsite); May 2008 (offsite); May 2011 (offsite); June 2012 (POR); June 2014 (AKV - Kidani); June 2017 (POR); January 2018 (BC & YC); June 2019 (Pop Century)

Comment

I don’t think I could ever go to Disney and not visit the parks. If we did I’d probably want to stay at the YC/BC. We love the pool there and the whole Crescent Lake area. With the addition of the gondolas soon opening at International Gateway, we could hop on one of those and head to other resorts to eat and explore.
                  Louise

2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ Pop/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

I think trying this out for a couple of days is a great idea. Some R & R at the end of the trip sounds nice. If I was doing this I would stay at AKL in a room with a view of the animals. I just love sitting on the balcony, watching the wildlife. That is so peaceful for me. A second choice would be the Poly as I enjoy the theming, Kona Cafe and watching the fireworks from the beach. There are so many non-park activities you can still be as relaxed or busy as you want to be. Enjoy!

Comment

The BC...the pool is great...being that close to Epcot and the boardwalk is a plus. Or the Poly...the atmosphere is wonderful and I get to have my Kona coffee any time.
                      That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
                      WDW Sept 1995 Contemporary - July 1997 & July 1998 Polynesian - July 2000, July 2003 & May 2019 Grand Floridian

Comment

Not something I would do. If I had to...doesn't Beach Club have an almost-water park? That might be fun.
                        WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. Living in Florida now--lost count!
                        DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj1 View Post
                          Not something I would do. If I had to...doesn't Beach Club have an almost-water park? That might be fun.
                          Yup, BC/YC’s Stormalong Bay has often been called a mini-water park.

We’ve never stayed at either, but DBIL’s family has and said SB was fantastic.
                          “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj1 View Post
                            Yes it does and you could spend the whole day there if you love swimming and/or the water. You see it is our favourite resort, but I didn't say the Beach Club because, to me, if we were to do a non-park stay, it's too close to Epcot and I'd just want to go there all the time, given it's our favourite park.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Working...
                            X