Skyliner Breakdown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyliner Breakdown!

I’m at WDW now for parents weekend at DD’s college. One mom posted on the college FB page that they got stuck in the Skyliner going to Epcot last night for 3.5 HOURS!!!! I would’ve had a heart attack. She said the FD had a bucket truck evacuating cars but it was slow moving. Apparently some cars at the Riviera station crashed into each other. She said WDW was ill equipped to handle the situation. Once they were down it was a disorganized mess.

We we went to DHS for EMH yesterday. When we arrived it was our first look at the Skyliner. We were all surprised with how fast they were moving. I’m scared of heights but was willing to try it once and the fast speed was a plus for me. We decided to ride it when we left and get off at whatever the first stop was. Got out of DHS (10am) and there was a long line. Because it was stopped! We looked at each other and said nope let’s hop on a bus. My worst fear would be getting stuck and DS would have a meltdown.
    GF Sept '98 honeymoon, WL March '06, WL Nov '08, BWV March '10, BCV Oct '11, GF Nov '13, BWI Jan '15, YC April'16, POFQ Dec '16, YC Nov '17, Poly Sept '18, POR Oct '18, BC March '19

I saw that on this morning's news. I don't like rides like that.... heights and getting stuck. Now it's a nope for me. My big fear is I will need the bathroom.
    Over 100 pounds gone. Diabetes is in remission, no more insulin. So grateful to have done weight loss surgery ( duodenal switch).

Comment

• notjustamom
      notjustamom commented
      Editing a comment
      The mom who posted said she was sweating so much she was hoping that would reduce the need to use the bathroom.

I was already having doubts about Pop again next year and it’s just getting worse. Time will tell. I know we can still stay at Pop regardless of if we even use the Skyliner but I read that bus transportation to Epcot and DHS may be reduced from those resorts (nothing official) so that would stink. One of the Port Orleans resorts is sounding better and better. I’m still considering the Polynesian too although I’m not crazy about all the monorail issues that have been going on either.
    CINDY

18 Trips to WDW and counting!!😊
    Granddaughters’ 1st trip to WDW-August 30-September 5, 2020!🥳

Comment

Seemed to me Disney was really rushing to get this system operational.

I’m not encouraged by the fact that a brand new system broke down this spectacularly so soon after startup.
      “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Comment

• notjustamom
        notjustamom commented
        Editing a comment
        Spectacularly epic breakdown! I told DD it’s not a good sign when 1. It breaks that badly a week in and 2. Response / rescue efforts are so bad. The mom who posted said communication was awful and just a few “we’ll be back up and running soon” announcements.

It was all over my FB feed last night as I follow a lot of Disney things. I’m sure that was very scary for those that were stuck. I know I wouldn’t been scared, especially since it was dark. That said, I’m sure Disney will conduct a thorough investigation and when we are in Disney next year, we’ll still ride it. The monorail has been involved in an accident before. Heck, it’s broken down so much now, but I still ride the monorail, too.

I did see on FB that no one was in the car vehicles that were involved in the crash, thank goodness.
      Louise

2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ Pop/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

While it’s true there have been major monorail breakdowns, that’s a system that’ll be 50-years-old in a couple years. Much more understandable to me than a new system said to have been thoroughly tested breaking down that dramatically so soon.
        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Comment

I saw too that there was no one in the cars that crashed, but I do feel for all those folks who were stranded for hours. I don't think this will deter us from trying it if it is up and running again in December. Hopefully, Disney will figure out the problem to insure this doesn't happen again and also a better plan for managing the situation for guests if it does happen again. The article I read had a quote from one guy who was on board with his elderly mom. They were given 4 day park passes and a $200 gift card. But the article mentioned that guests would be handled on an individual basis.
          Cam
          27 Trips to WDW
          2 Trips to DLR
          2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
          1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

• notjustamom
            notjustamom commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes they were offered park passes and $200

I just saw this article on blogmickey.com, and it is only one of several, but I thought this one might give an idea of what happened last night. It does not cover much about the folks who were on board though.

https://blogmickey.com/2019/10/close...liner-gondola/
          Cam
          27 Trips to WDW
          2 Trips to DLR
          2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
          1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post
            While it’s true there have been major monorail breakdowns, that’s a system that’ll be 50-years-old in a couple years. Much more understandable to me than a new system said to have been thoroughly tested breaking down that dramatically so soon.
            Exactly.
            CINDY

Comment

Also, under the seat they had an emergency kit containing water, a notepad (but hers had no pen for the pad lol) and one of those blue hospital “vomit sleeves” as I call them. They didn’t want to drink the water for fear of having to use the bathroom.
              GF Sept '98 honeymoon, WL March '06, WL Nov '08, BWV March '10, BCV Oct '11, GF Nov '13, BWI Jan '15, YC April'16, POFQ Dec '16, YC Nov '17, Poly Sept '18, POR Oct '18, BC March '19

Comment

• Her Dotness
                Her Dotness commented
                Editing a comment
                A notepad? How odd.

So you can write “HELP! We’re stuck up here!” and toss that to the ground?

• luvnwdwgal
                luvnwdwgal commented
                Editing a comment
                From what I read, the notepad started out as somebody’s joke and it just escalated from there. They showed a picture of the kit with a notepad on the disboards.

I definitely wont be riding while I'm there as I have less than zero interest in being stuck hanging from a cable in a gondola with a scooter. Quite frankly between all the monorail breakdowns and the various reports of people being stuck and/or having to be rescued from the skyliner I'm beginning to seriously question Disney's commitment to safety.

Comment

Hi All! I haven't posted much here since the move...but might hang out a bit more...anyways, the Skyliner is one of the most exciting developments at WDW for me in, well, ever. I was a huge fan of the Skyway at DL as a kid, and this, while not the same, is still pretty exciting. I've even considered booking at Coronado or Riviera just to have more opportunity to ride it.

I'm sure WDW will figure it all out. And their design is SAFE, even if a breakdown is very inconvenient. I have no interest in peeing into a "vomit sleeve", but it won't kill a person.

Comment

Given that a major breakdown occurred SIX DAYS after the system began running, I’m not willing to consider riding it until it’s run without any incident for a year.

Had it been a minor occurrence with a stoppage of less than 30 minutes after which the system ran normally again, much different story.

But cars crashing into each other? And stranding people aloft for more than three hours? I disagree that can be called safe in any sense.

Perhaps, as one report indicated, the cause was human error, which wouldn’t surprise me as inadequate as corporate training programs often are, speaking from experience.

This incident makes me wonder if all the costcutting we know has occurred in recent years finally resulted in a near-catastrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post
                    Given that a major breakdown occurred SIX DAYS after the system began running, I’m not willing to consider riding it until it’s run without any incident for a year.

Had it been a minor occurrence with a stoppage of less than 30 minutes after which the system ran normally again, much different story.

But cars crashing into each other? And stranding people aloft for more than three hours? I disagree that can be called safe in any sense.

Perhaps, as one report indicated, the cause was human error, which wouldn’t surprise me as inadequate as corporate training programs often are, speaking from experience.

This incident makes me wonder if all the costcutting we know has occurred in recent years finally resulted in a near-catastrophe.
                    I’m glad we’re not going anytime soon now. As far as human error, that can happen at any time regardless of how long it’s been open since you never know when there could be a new CM operating something, so that makes me a bit cautious. I don’t know, I was so excited for this but not so much anymore.
                    CINDY

Comment

I hope they get all the kinks worked out.
                      That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
                      WDW Sept 1995 Contemporary - July 1997 & July 1998 Polynesian - July 2000, July 2003 & May 2019 Grand Floridian

Comment

Working...
                      X