Magic Bands Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Bands Longevity

I know this was brought up on the PassPorter boards but it's always been unclear about the Mabic Bands and how long they'll actually last with the chip in them. I've heard differents things from just over a year to nearly three years or more.

Anyone know more about this and perhaps a better idea of their lifespan? I'm going to WDW in October and my MB will be two years and a few weeks then. Will it still be good or should I get a new one? Just asking and does anyone have a MB failing being too old or having an old one that has still worked?

I'd appreciate your experiences and expertise on this if possible. It's somewhat of a hit/miss situation. I could get a new one to be safe as not that pricey like park tickets!
    Trips:95-2K,06&13-Italy, Switz, France, UK, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech, Lich, Eire, Spain, Portugal, Moroc; 98-Nat.Parks(CA, AZ, UT & NV) 99-Vegas, 01-Austr, NZ&HA, 05-Memphis, 11-Austin:ACL& Orlando:Bay Hill;13-Paris & East France;15-Memphis;18-Vegas
    WDW:02-WL, 03-CSR, 04-AKL, 05-BWI, 07-POR, BC, 08-CG Omni & CBR, 09-Poly, POR(Decade of Dreams), 10-POFQ, GF, 11-POFQ, 12-CSR,WL, 14-POR, 15-DCL Magic-West Caribbean, 16-B Resort, 17-USF:Royal Pacific/WDW Dolphin

I think it's quite hit or miss. I remember people saying before that some wouldn't work after less than a year, but others saying they'd had them work fine two years later.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

I’ve read about 2 years also. I don’t remember all the technical info that I read but some functions will work in it longer, others not.
      CINDY

17 DAYS TILL WDW!!!WOOHOO!!!🥳🥳🥳

17 Trips to WDW and counting!
      1st Sister’s Trip-September 8th-14th, 2019!😊
      Granddaughters’ 1st trip-September 20-26, 2020!🥳

Comment

Depends on how much you value in-ride photos and videos as I recall.

I remember PP techie WillCAD said the chip will do everything else past two years. It just won’t record the above anymore.

Won’t swear to that but think that’s what he said.

Me, I’d just get a new one. That way you’re reasonably sure, barring possible flaws, it’ll do anything you expect of it.
        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post

I remember PP techie WillCAD said the chip will do everything else past two years. It just won’t record the above anymore.

Me, I’d just get a new one. That way you’re reasonably sure, barring possible flaws, it’ll do anything you expect of it.

That's basically what I've read several places-- that the long-range capabilities (Photopass, "personalizing" a display on a ride like HM, IASW, RnR, etc.) are battery driven and would work for about 2 years. The touch-point function (opening hotel room door, paying for things, park admission, etc.) should last much longer.

I've always just gotten a new band every time because I don't want to find out the battery has died *after* we missed out on a great Photopass ride shot.
          WDW Visits: March 1979 Offsite; April 1979 Offsite; April 1981 Offsite; June 2001 ASMo; June 2004 Pop; May 2009 Pop; June 2011 Pop; June 2013 AoA Lion King; June 2015 AoA Lion King; June 2016 AoA Nemo; June 2018 AoA Lion King

Comment

I think we were able to use ours about 3 years after getting them. We only use them for FP, tickets, room key. We haven't had new ones in a long time. This next trip, we'll just use our tickets for FP since we'll be offsite.

Comment

Would be great if the MBs had replaceable batteries.
              I would buy a cool one that had a character I love on it and then use it over and over!

Comment

• allgiggles
                allgiggles commented
                Editing a comment
                With the newer style MBs, you can just replace the puck with one from a new band -- so similar (though more expensive) to replacing a battery. Granted, you wouldn't necessarily be able to get a matching puck if you have a "special" MB, but you could get a coordinating color free MB, switch out the pucks, and still use the fun MB.
                Last edited by allgiggles; 08-14-2019, 05:50 AM.

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post

Now you say it, I remember something along those lines about some of the capabilities of the MagicBands failing after a while.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Originally posted by jenifermg0 View Post
                I would buy a cool one that had a character I love on it and then use it over and over!
                That's what I've often thought. Then I could get an Eeyore one and DH could get a Grumpy one... if they even do those of course!

Comment

Originally posted by chezp View Post

That's what I've often thought. Then I could get an Eeyore one and DH could get a Grumpy one... if they even do those of course!
                  OMG!!! That is EXACTLY my DH and I would do!!!!!!!!!!
                  My car license plate is EOR and his is GRMPY!!

Comment

I agree with Dot - that's what I remember Will saying as well. Touch point things will work but long range things will stop working theoretically about 2 years. But 2 years from what? When it was made, when it's first used, etc. Since Disney offers me new ones each time I go, I just get them but worst case scenario if you don't get one and it dies, last I knew you could still get the gray replacement ones at the front desk for free. It's only if you want a specific color or design that you'll have to pay for a new one.
                    Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Comment

OMG!!! That is EXACTLY my DH and I would do!!!!!!!!!!
                      My car license plate is EOR and his is GRMPY!!
                      Love it!!

Comment

I found this article Disney Parks Moms Panel that might be helpful.

Magic Bands
                        Cam
                        27 Trips to WDW
                        2 Trips to DLR
                        2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
                        1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

I feel the same way. Actually, I've bought three limited edition ones because I loved the characters on them. Now I really wish I could just replace the battery when it needs it.
                          Cam
                          27 Trips to WDW
                          2 Trips to DLR
                          2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
                          1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by Cam22 View Post
                            I found this article Disney Parks Moms Panel that might be helpful.

Magic Bands
                            Thanks for that, that's a really interesting read, especially how the temperature at which your MagicBand is kept at affects its battery life.

Comment

Working...
                            X