Masks can be removed to take outdoor photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masks can be removed to take outdoor photos

It's an interesting change, although as a photographer myself, I'm not sure I necessarily welcome this. Honestly, to me, it feels like it would be more of a pain to remove them to take photos, then put them back up again, then remove them.
    Disney World just updated their face mask policy, and for the first time since the parks reopened, Disney is adding circumstances where a guest may temporarily REMOVE their face mask.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

I expect it's a bit of an accommodation to parents distressed that their kids' faces will be partially obscured by masks.

Seems reasonable to me because people getting photos taken must remain in place, similar to the policy on removing masks while eating or drinking.
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

If you're someone who hits up every Photopass photographer down Main St for instance, I can see it being a pain but I would think most people would do one "set" of photos and go do something else for a while. I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I don't see it any differently than taking your mask off to eat or drink.
      Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post
        I expect it's a bit of an accommodation to parents distressed that their kids' faces will be partially obscured by masks.

Seems reasonable to me because people getting photos taken must remain in place, similar to the policy on removing masks while eating or drinking.
        You can tell I'm a photographer. It didn't even occur to me that it also meant you can remove your masks to have a photograph taken, I just thought about taking the photos. In which case, that's a good thing, as I do keep looking at people's photos from Disney and thinking in years to come, with everyone wearing masks, you'll say "that was our Covid vacation". I can't wait to be past that and, by the sounds of it, it will happen in just a couple of days...

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

• Her Dotness
          Her Dotness commented
          Editing a comment
          And you can tell I'm no photographer as I had to think a bit to comprehend what you understood it to mean. 😃

Huh. Drew airdropped a news story to me that suggests Disney may continue some of the innovations originally intended for covid safety.

"We figured out a way to really push hard on technology, really accelerate some of the ideas that we've had for a long time," [Disney Parks chairman Josh] D'Amaro explained to Dow Report. "So you think about things like reservation systems in the parks that we can manage capacity and therefore guest experience a little bit better. It's working exceptionally well for us."

"Things like mobile order, Roger. So you can walk up to a restaurant, have your meal ready for you when you arrive. Things like queue reservations systems that we're executing in different ways," D'Amaro added. "Or even how you might pay for merchandise, but without transacting with a credit card. And this technology, it doesn't only help us during a time of a pandemic, but I think it actually leads to a better cast and guest experience. And so, these are things that are helping us now, but I think they're here to stay."

I'm all for better park capacity management even if that demands park reservations. I've had a few unpleasant experiences in parks so crowded I was trying hard not to run into people and not having much fun.
        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

Luke told me about this earlier today, and my understanding is that it is the guests in the photos who will be taking their masks off. I'll be glad that our next two trips will not have masks in our PhotoPass pictures. It will mark November 2020 as a COVID trip, so that will make them special, but one trip is enough.
          Cam
          29 Trips to WDW
          2 Trips to DLR
          2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
          1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Sounds good! A few folks were removing their masks for pictures anyway.

BUT...in my experience, by the time you've had the mask on for a while, your makeup is gone and your complexion is NOT at its best. Wouldn't make for the prettiest shots ever.
            WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. Living in Florida now--lost count!
            DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Comment

Huh. Drew airdropped a news story to me that suggests Disney may continue some of the innovations originally intended for covid safety.

"We figured out a way to really push hard on technology, really accelerate some of the ideas that we've had for a long time," [Disney Parks chairman Josh] D'Amaro explained to Dow Report. "So you think about things like reservation systems in the parks that we can manage capacity and therefore guest experience a little bit better. It's working exceptionally well for us."

"Things like mobile order, Roger. So you can walk up to a restaurant, have your meal ready for you when you arrive. Things like queue reservations systems that we're executing in different ways," D'Amaro added. "Or even how you might pay for merchandise, but without transacting with a credit card. And this technology, it doesn't only help us during a time of a pandemic, but I think it actually leads to a better cast and guest experience. And so, these are things that are helping us now, but I think they're here to stay."

I'm all for better park capacity management even if that demands park reservations. I've had a few unpleasant experiences in parks so crowded I was trying hard not to run into people and not having much fun.
              I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the technology that's been rolled out continues. Covid has basically sped up some of the ideas that companies had in the pipeline. I hear you about the overcrowded parks. I went to the Magic Kingdom once when it was on stage 2 or 3 of shutdown (I know all non resort guests were being turned away) and it was horrendous. Never ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj1 View Post
                Sounds good! A few folks were removing their masks for pictures anyway.

BUT...in my experience, by the time you've had the mask on for a while, your makeup is gone and your complexion is NOT at its best. Wouldn't make for the prettiest shots ever.
                That is very true! I have a horrible spot at the moment on my chin and, at least with masks, I don't have to worry about anyone seeing it!

Comment

Thing is, most people are so unobservant that you yourself are likely to be the only one who thinks your photos look dreadful when taken after you've been masked.

Comment

Thing is, most people are so unobservant that you yourself are likely to be the only one who thinks your photos look dreadful when taken after you've been masked.
                    True! That's especially the case if I'm wearing glasses, then they fog up and I can't see anything through the view finder...

Comment

• Her Dotness
                      Her Dotness commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Which works both ways, I think, either as photographer or subject. <grin>

A surgical mask with a sturdy nose wire solves the foggy glasses problem. I just bought a box of 50 for our upcoming trip and am amazed how great they work.

Also, though less comfy, is a cloth mask with that double-stick tape used to keep bra straps from showing or to keep your sleeveless top/dress's straps from slipping off your shoulders. The tape isn't fun to remove, because it really sticks, but run that from mid-cheek to cheek across the bridge of your nose. Your glasses haven't a chance of fogging, and a roll of the tape lasts a looonng time.
                      Last edited by Her Dotness; 04-07-2021, 08:46 AM.

Mask restrictions have also been relaxed inside Fort Wilderness. They are no longer required when running around on a golf cart, when walking around, engaged in outdoor sporting activities . They are still required when riding the busses and boats and when entering The Buildings such as The Trading Posts, Reception Outpost, Horse Barn , Pioneer Hall and adjacent restaurants , as well as the Comfort stations and Laundry
                    On a personal note . I agree with Greg Gutfeld that alll this public mask debating has become offensive and needs to be stopped.

Comment

Her Dotness: Which works both ways, I think, either as photographer or subject. <grin>

A surgical mask with a sturdy nose wire solves the foggy glasses problem. I just bought a box of 50 for our upcoming trip and am amazed how great they work.

Also, though less comfy, is a cloth mask with that double-stick tape used to keep bra straps from showing or to keep your sleeveless top/dress's straps from slipping off your shoulders. The tape isn't fun to remove, because it really sticks, but run that from mid-cheek to cheek across the bridge of your nose. Your glasses haven't a chance of fogging, and a roll of the tape lasts a looonng time.

Using Flash Tape is a great idea! Though I can see it peeling off some skin when you remove it....

I put wires at the top of my masks and that usually works, although my glasses do still occasionally fog up.
                      WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014, 11-2015 (birthday trip), 5-2016, 2-2017, 3-2017 x2, 6-2017, 8-2017, 10-2017x2, 11-2017x2, 12-2017. Living in Florida now--lost count!
                      DISNEYLAND(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo), 12-2015 (solo), 9-2016

Comment

• Her Dotness
                        Her Dotness commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The tape really works to keep your mask from slipping when you need to talk.

Although, I had an uneasy moment when getting screened for my second covid vaccine dose. The screener said I had to remove my cloth mask and put on the hospital's surgical one.

I had taped all around my mask so it wouldn't slip and was praying she wouldn't make me remove it. Luckily, she said it would be okay to double mask after I told her that's what I was told to do previously. Whew!
                    Working...
                    X