Buffets vs. family style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffets vs. family style

I see the Crystal Palace is re-opening, but as a family style restaurant, rather than a buffet, which set me thinking... is this a change you'd like to see made permanent?

I've loved buffets over the years, but I must admit this whole thing with Covid has made me much more conscious about all the germs and viruses any of us can spread unwittingly and now I'm questioning whether I'd like to return to buffets in the future.... how about you guys?

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

We really enjoy family style at the Garden Grill and ‘Ohana, but I also enjoy having the option of picking what I want and how much from a buffet. That said, I think buffets are so germy. 🤢 Family style would eliminate that, obviously. I guess I’m kind of torn. If family style is what it takes to get some more restaurants open, then I’m all for it. I guess, if/once things return to normal, having some buffet options would be nice, too.

I’m just glad to see more things opening and returning (park hopping). It gives me hope that there might be light at the end of the tunnel.
    Louise

2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ Pop/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

I enjoy the options of a buffet, although I thoroughly understand the changes right now. I think we could probably safely return to buffets in the future, as we lived with them for many, many years without real issues. I believe they are relatively safe under normal (whatever that is) circumstances.
      11/19-POFQ~5/19-POFQ~12/18-POFQ~4/18-Won. thru PC~10/16-POFQ~6/16-Won. to Alaska~4/16-POFQ~2/16-POR/Mag/POFQ~11/15-POFQ~6/15-Mag to Norway~5/15-POFQ~3/15-POFQ~12/2014-POR~9/14-CSR~3/14-POR~3/13-POR~ 6/11-Won. to Alaska~3/11-POR~6/10-GF/Poly~6/09-Mag~ 3/08-Pop/Won/POFQ~10/07-Pop~ 6/07-CBR~3/07-Pop/POFQ~6/06-Pop~12/05-POFQ~7/05-POR~1/05-Pop~7/04-POR~1/04-CBR~6/03-POFQ~3/03-POFQ~3/02-off site~12/01-WL~7/01-ASMU~3/01-POR~7/00-Swan~7/98-DxL~7/92-DxL~5/89-Off site~12/76-Honeymoon off-site

Comment

• Her Dotness
        Her Dotness commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree.

With vaccines that have tested at 95% effective, we'll be living before many more months much as we did previously.

There's a chance that'll be permanent immunity. Post-covid immunity has recently been found to be double what was initially thought.

I hope they are able to eventually bring back the buffets. It lets Joel choose exactly what he knows he will eat, so we have less waste.
      Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019

Comment

We have enjoyed some of the buffets over the years at Disney World, but we did the Minnie Seasonal Dine at Hollywood & Vine this past week, which is now a prix fixe sort of meal with a shared appetizer, one entree of chose each, and a dessert of chose each. We loved it.
        Cam
        28 Trips to WDW
        2 Trips to DLR
        2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
        1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by joelsmom View Post
          I hope they are able to eventually bring back the buffets. It lets Joel choose exactly what he knows he will eat, so we have less waste.
          That's a good point about the waste. I hadn't thought of that and Disney can be very generous with their servings at family style meals!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Cam22 View Post
            We have enjoyed some of the buffets over the years at Disney World, but we did the Minnie Seasonal Dine at Hollywood & Vine this past week, which is now a prix fixe sort of meal with a shared appetizer, one entree of chose each, and a dessert of chose each. We loved it.
            Glad to hear you enjoyed it. That's one of the ones I'd like to do (if it's still going) by the time we get back in a couple of years' time...

Comment

I think family style limits your choices and less waste than family style. I had so much food when I ate at 'Ohana and so much was leftover and I have a big appetite.
              Trips:95-2K,06&13-Italy, Switz, France, UK, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech, Lich, Eire, Spain, Portugal, Moroc; 98-Nat.Parks(CA, AZ, UT & NV) 99-Vegas, 01-Austr, NZ&HA, 05-Memphis, 11-Austin:ACL& Orlando:Bay Hill;13-Paris & East France;15-Memphis;18-Vegas
              WDW:02-WL, 03-CSR, 04-AKL, 05-BWI, 07-POR, BC, 08-CG Omni & CBR, 09-Poly, POR(Decade of Dreams), 10-POFQ, GF, 11-POFQ, 12-CSR,WL, 14-POR, 15-DCL Magic-West Caribbean, 16-B Resort, 17-USF:Royal Pacific/WDW Dolphin

Comment

Working...
              X