Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The prodigal something-or-other returns ...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The prodigal something-or-other returns ...!

Soooooo ... it's been a LOT of years since I last showed my face 'round these parts.

I've gone through a lot of changes in my life since then, too. Went through a rather messy breakup with my then-'Ohana, resulting in much worse finances and being convinced that Disney was once again forever out of my reach, and moved back in with my mother temporarily (or so I thought).

Well, temporarily turned into six years (public housing has a looooooong waitlist).

And then, at the start of June, my mother passed away - suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm still going through the probate process, but she had a small life insurance policy that named me as the beneficiary, so .... guess where I'm going, in late January? It'll be a solo trip (my first), aside from one day visiting family that lives in Florida.

I always wanted to be able to take my mother to Disney World with me again - my first-ever trip was in '85, with her and my grandmother, as my 14th birthday present. Well, now I can't ... but I also can, sort of. I've got a small pendant, engraved with her name and dates of birth and death, that is a container that can hold maybe a gram of cremains. It may sound silly, but, the one place in the parks I remember eating on that trip almost 40 years ago was the Pinnochio Village Haus ... so it's going to be a must-do thing this trip to have lunch there again.

As for family? I'm an uncle now ... three times! My nieces will be 10, 4, and 2; I'm paying for them, and all four parents, to join me in the Magic Kingdom for a day (and boy is THAT going to be expensive -tickets & meals for four adults, one child over 10, one under 10, and one under 3 ... yikes!)

My last trip was in 2014, there's so many new things to see and do now.

-- Sean
    -- Apostle of Eeyore

-- Past WDW: 1985 (off-property); 2001 (ASMo); 2009 (POP); 2014 (AoA)
    -- Next WDW: 2023 (POP)

Welcome to the neighbourhood Sean!

So sorry to hear about everything you've been through and the death of your mother. Yes, there is a huge amount of new things to see and do since your last trip. We were last in Disney in January 2018 and are returning next year and I can't believe how much has changed since our last visit.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Well, well, a very pleasant surprise. I remember you fondly from a number of PassPorter posts.

Quite the turbulent times you've had since those days, to be sure. Life does toss a few monkeywrenches at us, though it's unfortunate those were such weighty ones.

Delighted to see you again, Sean, and do hope you have a mega-magical return to our Disney home.
      “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2021--PVV/VGF; WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// Drew to WDW several times in the 70's/1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

Welcome to the cul-de-sac, Sean! I’m sorry to hear about your hard times, but won’t it be wonderful to share a Disney day with your family? I wish you all good things and, naturally, a magical Disney trip.
        Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019, AoA December 2020, ASMovies Sep 2021, Disneyland June 2022

Comment

Welcome back Sean! I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip.
          Ta Ta For Now. Jenn https://www.pixiedustlane.com/core/i...lies/smile.pnghttps://www.pixiedustlane.com/core/i...ilies/cool.png

WDW 2007, 2015 & 2020/2021 (New Year), Universal FL 2011 & 2015, DLR 2012, DCL (Dream) 2016, (Wonder) 2018, (Fantasy) 2022

Comment

Welcome Back Sean!! I'm glad you used your old Passporter name here as I recognized it immediately. I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing and all the other things life has thrown your direction. It seems when the chips are down, things just keep getting thrown at us.

I'm also sorry to hear you won't be able to take you mom to Disney they way you wanted to but at least she still will be going in the way that she can and any memory you have of that previous trip are never silly. I really hope you have a fantastic trip and a great day with your family in the MK. Definitely brush up on everything because things have changed SO much since 2014 - more so since Covid with needing park reservations and FP going away in favor of a paid service. If I remember correctly (and I may not) you needed the DAS too and that has changed also - things can be done through the Disney app if you have an iPad or smartphone. I haven't used the most updated service yet so that's all I know.

Good luck with everything and I hope things start to look up for you.
            Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music - August 2021 AS Movies

Comment

Welcome to neighborhood Sean. It's good to see you again after far too long. I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother's death and everything else you've gone through since we last saw you.

Comment

Welcome back! I'm another who is sorry about the passing of your mother. Life does seem to take twists and turns. At least you have a Disney trip to look forward to.
                Cam
                29 Trips to WDW
                2 Trips to DLR
                2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
                1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Welcome to the new/old/familiar neighborhood! I definitely remember your name from the Passporter boards. I'm sorry about the loss of your mother.

I hope your trip to DW in January is everything you hope it will be. If you plan to use Genie+ on your trip, I highly recommend watching a few videos on Youtube. Ear Scouts is my favorite channel for Genie+ info.
                  WDW Visits: March 1979 Offsite; April 1979 Offsite; April 1981 Offsite; June 2001 ASMo; June 2004 Pop; May 2009 Pop; June 2011 Pop; June 2013 AoA Lion King; June 2015 AoA Lion King; June 2016 AoA Nemo; June 2018 AoA Lion King; ̶J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶ ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶; J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶1 ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶: June 2022 AoA Lion King

Comment

Welcome! I hope you have a fabulous trip.
                    That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
                    WDW Sept 1995 Contemporary - July 1997 & 1998 Polynesian - July 2000, 2003 & May 2019 Grand Floridian - Oct 2021 Beach Club - Sept 2022 AKL

Comment

Ha, then I get distracted by planning, and completely forget to come back here again. Ah well, c'est la vie, mais oui?

I'm now out of the planning stages, and am already Paid In Full, woo! Staying at POP, January 26 to February 1. ADRs are .... well, they're a mess. My window opened up Sunday morning, and despite getting up early? EVERYthing I was remotely interested in, is already booked solid. I'm going to have to check back every two or three days, right up until the day before I fly to Florida, to see if there's been a cancellation or a new batch of tables opened up to reservations. At least, being a Party of One, it should be slightly easier to get a table at one or two of my want-to-do's ... right? Maybe? We hope??

Friday the 27th is my first full day in the World, and I'm going to EPCOT. I wanted to do lunch in Space 220, then the Fireworks Package at the Rose & Crown. No availability at either. And none of the places that ARE available, are ones I want to dine at. I mean, Nine Dragons has good food, but nothing I have my heart set on ... especially not for a $60+ bill, before gratuity...!

Saturday the 28th is my planned day with my family, and I really wanted to do a late breakfast or early lunch at Crystal Palace (I neeeeeeed my Eeyore time!) ... but, no dice. I had to switch gears, and go with Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch at 12:25pm. Family is a-okay with it, and I know I'll enjoy it - it's just not what I had my heart set on, you know?

Sunday the 29th, I'll be doing Animal Kingdom, and I had hoped for breakfast at Tusker house. Once again, no availability ... nor lunch, nor dinner.

Monday the 30th is Hollywood Studios, and nothing there especially interests me (though if a Fantasmic package opens up, I might change my mind on that front).

And for Tuesday the 31st, I'll be back in the Magic Kingdom (which will be closing early, at 4:30, according to very recent announcements). That day, the only meal I consider a must-do is lunch at Pinnochio Village Haus. I know, kind of odd to make a QS place "must-do" ... but when I went to WDW as a kid - just fourteen years old, with my mom and my grandmother - that is the only place in-park we had a meal of any sort. Now that mom is gone, I want to go back there - just me, no other family - out of nostalgia. I really wanted to take my mother to WDW the last few years - and was saving up towards it, in 3-4 years maybe. Well, I can't anymore ... so symbolically, I'm going to anyway: I've got a pendant, a small thing, in squared off black metal, that has about half a gram of her cremains in it, and is engraved with her name, and the dates of her birth and death.

So, anyway ... unless I get lucky in the next 6 or 7 weeks, this trip is going to be a loooot of Quick Service dining; LTT is my sole reservation right now.

-- Sean
                      -- Apostle of Eeyore

Comment

Try Geyser Point at WL, the newish open-air lounge. It has a canopy so fine in all but a windy rain,

Pretty darn good food (bar munchies and great sandwiches), cushy chairs and a surprisingly good view of the MK aerial fireworks at lake's edge if energetic enough to walk over there.
                        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2021--PVV/VGF; WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// Drew to WDW several times in the 70's/1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

Irony of ironies: I decided I would rather have somewhere to sit down to a table with my family, so I made reservations for lunch at LTT.

Just now? Crystal Palace was wide open all day long on that day. /facepalm

Ah well, I'd already gone with a CP dinner on my last full day so I'd get my Eeyore time. No sense changing horses mid-stream, now!

-- Sean
                          -- Apostle of Eeyore

Comment

So sorry to hear about all the problems with ADRs. We can't make ours until February and I'm already resigning myself to not getting into some places, as I can't find any availability for them at all - particularly the Storybook Dining at Artist Point, so hubby can meet Grumpy. I've already warned him that's a really tough one to get...

At least you get Eeyore time - I completely understand that. No way I'm going to Disney and not seeing my donkey boy!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Welcome to Pixie Dust Lane Sean. Nice to have another Passporter on board!
                              Sorry you weren’t able to get what you wanted as far as ADRs.
                              My plan for the tough to get ones is to plan it for our last day. And then make that ADR the very first one I try for at 7:00 AM.
                              I hope you are able to find some of what you want in the coming weeks.
                              ~ Donna

Past trips: 1991-Dixie Landings, 1994- Off site, 2004 - POR, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - POFQ, 2011 - POR, 2012 - BLT, 2013 - BCV, 2015 - BWV, 2016 - BWV, 2017 - BLT, 2018 - OKW, 2018 - BWV/AKL, 2019 - BLT, 2021 - BWV, 2022 - BLT

Comment

Working...
                              X