Susan and Joel, June 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susan and Joel, June 2022

It’s kind of surreal to be the first to report in this sub-forum, but here we are. I’ll start with the flights. We flew American, and the experience was largely positive. We did have a delay due to mechanical issues trying to fly out of Dallas to get to Santa Ana, but better to catch that sooner rather than later. We were supposed to land in Santa Ana near lunchtime, and that became around 2:00 PM. Still, it was one relatively minor inconvenience. Other than that, the flights were all on time and well operated. I would use American again.
    Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019, AoA December 2020, ASMovies Sep 2021

Glad you had a great flight!
    Cam
    29 Trips to WDW
    2 Trips to DLR
    2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
    1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Glad to hear the flights went pretty smoothly.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Eager to hear how your DLR experience went.

I still remember how excited I was to see Walt's original Dreamland. Was it a thrill to be there for you?

Looking forward to learning what you and Joel thought of it.
        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2021--PVV/VGF; WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// Drew to WDW several times in the 70's/1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

All right, the actual visits to the parks…but the first is Universal Hollywood, which we visited on Sunday, June 12.

We arrived, after much contemplation, via rental car. Yes, I drove I-5 to the 101! It helped that it was a Sunday, or I don’t think I would’ve had the guts. We did spring for the Universal Express ticket, which allowed us to ride everything one time through the Express line. It was well worth it. We did every attraction except The Simpsons. It broke down while we were in line, and since it’s identical to the one in Orlando, we ditched that line after about 20 minutes of standing still.

Universal Hollywood is well-operated. The attractions that are different from Orlando are all really good and interesting. However, our favorite experience by far, and the only thing we did twice that day, was the Studio Tour. These days, it’s a mix of mini rides and actual tour, but the actual tour is the attraction here. Both of our guides were knowledgeable and entertaining. The tour is full of cool information and photo ops.

Universal Hollywood has done an excellent job of blending the old and the new. It was a fun day!
          Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019, AoA December 2020, ASMovies Sep 2021

Comment

Sounds like a great day and good for you driving! I agree, driving in LA at weekends is definitely easier - the traffic is much lighter.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Universal Hollywood sounds like it was a win!
              Cam
              29 Trips to WDW
              2 Trips to DLR
              1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

We flew American Airlines for a quick trip to Disney in April. We are Southwest people, but had a great experience with AA. We would definitely fly them again.

Your Universal Hollywood day sounds like a great day!
                Louise

2022 ~ POP; 2021 ~ BC/Poly; 2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ POP/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

Before I forget to include it, I’d like to mention some food highlights and lowlights. Our last trip, now 8 years ago, I was dying to try the fried chicken at the Plaza, and it was as good as billed. I really wanted to get it again, but we never made it there for lunch or dinner this time. We did try the hand dipped corn dogs from the Little Red Wagon, and they were soooo gooood! Messy, but delicious! We did 3 ADRs, two for breakfast and dinner to get the Fantasmic dining package at River Belle Terrace.

The breakfasts, Minnie and friends at the Plaza and Goofy’s Kitchen, were both quite tasty. Goofy’s had more unusual options, but maybe less appealing for adults, considering they were largely sweet. I couldn’t bring myself to try the peanut butter and jelly pizza. Goofy’s also had an omelet station. The biggest difference was in the character interactions, though. Minnie and friends featured Minnie (duh), Pluto, Daisy, two Cinderella mice (Suzy and Purla), Chip, Dale, and Pooh. They came by for extended time at each table, signed autographs, and posed for photos. At Goofy’s, we got the proprietor plus Pluto, Chip, and Dale. We were told they would be making their rounds around the restaurant quickly, but that was an understatement. It was near impossible to even snap a photo, let alone one that included Joel. This meal was pricier, too. Tip and all, the Plaza cost us $88, while Goofy’s was about $120.

The dinner at River Belle Terrace was good for the sole purpose of getting us into reserved viewing for Fantasmic. The viewing area was superb. I hated the food. They did manage to fix Joel, notoriously picky, a grilled cheese and tater tots, and I told him I wish I had ordered the same. My food, a chicken sandwich, was no better than Arby’s or Wendy’s. In fact, the cole slaw wasn’t very tasty, and the dressing was okay but nothing special. We also got appetizers with the package. Joel ordered the loaded tots, thinking he could just get some of them with cheese. This dish was a mess. It was mostly “loaded” and few tots. There was bits of brisket, slivers of raw onion, corn relish or salsa, barbecue sauce, a tiny bit of melted cheese, and cilantro on top. There were way too many flavors going on here for me, and Joel wouldn’t touch it. I ordered the pimento dip, which came with celery and bread for dipping. It was a bit spicy, but at least Joel had some appetizer that worked for him.

Dessert was chocolate pudding with an Oreo garnish or a chocolate dome with a bite size passion fruit cake inside. It came with a warm strawberry sauce, which was easily my favorite part of the meal. Joel had the pudding, and I refuse to believe it was homemade, as advertised. Obviously, this meal was a big disappointment.

The rest of the food was quick service. We had a good quick fire pizza at Napolini at Downtown Disney. I especially enjoyed mine with goat cheese, black olives, and chopped pear. I don’t even like pears, but something sounded good about it, and I was happy I got it. We also enjoyed some decent pasta and pizza at the Boardwalk Pasta and Pizza place at DCA.

Snacks were a highlight. It being warm, I was in the mood for a slushy kind of drink. I had two during the week, and they were both outstanding. The key lime (see 6/22/22 QoD for a photo) was a work of art, and the rainbow unicorn concoction at Bing Bong’s at DCA was pretty and a lovely combo of sweet and sour. I will say Bing Bong’s is cheaper than the key lime at Tomorrowland Terrace, about half the money.

I’d be happy to field any questions you might have.
                  Susan

Comment

We did the River Belle Terrace for the Fantasmic Package back in 2019 and felt the same way about the food. But the viewing area was superb.
                    Cam
                    29 Trips to WDW
                    2 Trips to DLR
                    1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the food. We love the breakfast with Minnie and friends, but usually Eeyore's there. I guess my donkey boy isn't as keen on public appearances these days... 😥

Comment

The breakfast with Minnie and friends sounds great! I would love to meet Purla and Suzy. When you say it’s at the Plaza, is that inside Disneyland? I’ve never been so I have no idea where these things are located. We are planning a trip here in 2024 and this sounds like something I’d like to try.
                        Louise

2022 ~ POP; 2021 ~ BC/Poly; 2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ POP/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

• manticorjenn
                          manticorjenn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, it is at the end of Main Street in Disneyland. This is like Crystal Palace in Disney World.

I am glad you and Joel had some good meals in Disneyland and that you enjoyed your day at Universal.
                        Ta Ta For Now. Jenn https://www.pixiedustlane.com/core/i...ilies/cool.png

WDW 2007, 2015 & 2020/2021 (New Year), Universal FL 2011 & 2015, DLR 2012, DCL (Dream) 2016, (Wonder) 2018

Comment

As I left thinking 8 years ago, I also left this trip with a feeling of joy about the Disneyland Resort. If it didn’t cost so much to make this trip, these would be my go-to Disney parks. Disneyland is full of those wonderful details that created all that magic. We both took photos of the window to Walt’s apartment, where the light still burns in that window. We loved watching the Main Street vehicles, which still run up and down the street every day. The old and unique Fantasyland attractions were favorites again…Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Storybook Canal Boats…the list goes on. We just delighted in all of those things that Disney World doesn’t offer. The outdoor entrance and exit to It’s a Small World was another plus. You know the weather is always so nice out there, the indoor/outdoor combo is doable, and it’s just so nice.

Tomorrowland offered us the opportunity to ride Hyoerspace Mountain this time. Last time, it was under refurbishment. It was worth the wait. The Star Wars overlay adds so much to the coaster. Plus, it’s a smoother ride than in Orlando. We did all the other Tomorrowland things except the Nemo submarines, which once again were under refurb.

Galaxy’s Edge is almost identical to Orlando. We rode both attractions, and they were great fun, but nothing you can’t do at DHS.

Adventureland offers the Indiana Jones Adventure, which is tons of fun. We did nearly nothing in Frontierland. Our only Critter Country attraction was Winnie the Pooh, which is, like Small World, indoor/outdoor. We again loved Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square. Pirates of the Caribbean was under refurb.

The whole atmosphere of Main Street is just relaxing and beautiful. From the store fronts to the interiors to the Carnation Cafe, the Plaza Inn and the Jolly Holiday Bakery, it’s all delightful. The Dapper Dans and the Disneyland Band were just everywhere. We saw them over and over.

So, all wonderful, right? Not exactly. The one major downer was the crowd size. Every day we were there, they had a posted sign indicating park reservations were no longer available…all booked up. Sadly, that cap, whatever it is, makes for an extremely crowded Disneyland Park. In particular, Fantasyland was hard to navigate, just because of the sheer number of people packed in there. It lost some of it’s quaint nature because it was hard to see past all the bodies. For a system that was ostensibly designed to prevent overcrowding, the park reservations system does no such thing. The other lands didn’t seem as packed, except New Orleans Square and Critter Country, which are small, but it was clear from start to finish that those park numbers were really high.

The only show is the Tale of the Lion King. It was just terrific, but I did miss Mickey and the Magical Map from our previous trip.

Any questions?
                          Susan

Comment

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at Disneyland, but I also think from some of your comments that I've made the right decision not to visit Disneyland this December. We were going to, but I was put off by the increase in ticket prices and, frankly, if we'd paid that sort of money to find the park so crowded, I'd be really annoyed. That was my fear - we'd pay more money for an experience that potentially wasn't as good as we remembered. We may just go shopping and for dinner at Downtown Disney one night instead and we still have eight nights on the Wonder to look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                            X