Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew and Dot's 11/2021 Eats

Saturday, 11/13

L=Gasparilla Island Grill--excellent sandwiches--chicken with brie, raspberry mustard, deli ham with real potato french fries. Mobile "dinnerware" a bit awkward but sandwiches too good to pass up, as ever.

D=Steakhouse 71--just adequate Le Cellier-type steakhouse with choice of upscale sauces, more elegant decor. Unimpressive for all the hype.

Sunday, 11/14

B=GF Cafe--as good as ever.

L=Olivia's brunch--very tasty, good service, cozy atmosphere. I tried the Beyond Burger which mimicked beef pretty well. I was impressed by how close it was in flavor and texture to ground beef.

D=Yachtsman--Far better steaks than Stk 71 but messed up our sides. They seemed short-staffed so perhaps pandemic related but worrisome due to our respective food intolerances. They gave Drew spinach geared to my no-dairy needs when I hadn't ordered any, and he wanted creamed spinach. Got it sorted eventually but an unusual lapse for Yachtsman.

Monday, 11/15

B='Ohana--excellent as ever. And POG juice more enjoyable than I thought previously. Sure glad it's back on the menu after a supply problem.

L=Liberty Tree Tavern for 3--consistently decent American traditional food. Drew got his somewhat made to order due to his all-peppers allergy, which he said was decidedly better food. Wonderfully "seasoned" by Pixie GingerJ's company. Terrific seeing you again, Ginger!

D=Chefs de France--Drew's steak somewhat underdone with green beans and same rice I had-- just plain, molded white rice, nothing special. My salmon overdone, most unusual for CdeF, although well seasoned with thin lime and lemon slices and minced herbs. My veggie, peas with carrot slices, ordinary.

Definitely not the quality or service we've had here previously, and menu extremely limited.

Tuesday, 11/16

B=Trattoria al Forno--not the variety of the character breakfast, pastries weren't included, for instance. Attentive service and tasty food, though. Drew raved about his tiramisu french toast.

L=Drew had FWF's American lobster roll and Alps raclette cheese with baby potatoes and cornichons, me nothing due to messing up my digestion--as usual at WDW. [sigh!] Clearly, I'll never learn.

D=Cali Grill--fabulous as ever. We both had the grilled pork tenderloin. The Heirloom Apple Salad rivaled almost everything I've had at V&A's. Sounded too complex but flavors played extremely nicely off each other. Server Beckey is a marvel. She even remembered us from 7 years ago!

Wednesday, 11/17

B=CRT--decent, nothing to rave about unless you call Cinderella doing some dance moves from 8 ft. away a character breakfast. Stoopid pandemic! And the chocolate croissants are now bite-sized, the plain ones full-sized. Talk about a cheat, Drew said.

L=Steakhouse 71--really dreadful service, and food not much better

D=Geyser Point—Drew's bison burger deemed as good as we'd heard it was. My grilled chicken very tasty. Real potato fries, again. YAY! Made our must-do list for atmosphere and food.

Thursday, 11/18

B=Ale and Compass—decent enough, good service

L=Beaches and Cream--Why didn't we ever eat here before? We couldn't ever get it is why, which we now understand. Excellent food. I got TWO whole roasted turkey sandwiches. See Friday's lunch for what happened to the second. I had to have some actually yummy non-dairy ice cream with pineapple syrup. Drew had a favorite, mint chocolate chip. We both waddled out.

D=Trattoria al Forno--Marvelous dinner. The chef insisted upon fixing our strip steaks specially, with beautifully sautéed zucchini, summer squash and cipollini onions with minced herbs. Easily Sig quality and one of the best meals this trip.

Friday, 11/19

B=Steakhouse 71--Good server and good breakfast. May do this again. At least, they can do better than mess up breakfast.

L=Cali Grill, Beaches and Cream leftovers thanks to our studio nuker

D=Topolino's--definitely lived up to the reviews. Wonderful meal. Drew had the tomahawk veal chop, me the Diver scallops over potato-celery root puree. Both magnificently seasoned. Again, chef insisted upon carefully meeting our food needs deliciously, only the 3rd place to do so well.

Saturday, 11/20

B='Ohana--again good with good service

On the Whole: Some upsetting disappointments--how could Chefs de France be that bad as wonderful as it was pre-Covid? We suspect staffing and source issues both.

No idea where or why Disney is getting what they call pancake/waffle syrup. It's a slightly caramel colored sugar syrup faintly akin to Log Cabin. We definitely missed the pre-pandemic real maple syrup. Decidedly hope this isn't a Chapek cutback that will remain. The stuff is just awful.

Expected more than Steakhouse 71 could evidently deliver. Too bad.

But, the good places were as good as ever with Topolino's, Geyser Point and Beaches and Cream new must-dos.
    Last edited by Her Dotness; 11-23-2021, 12:31 PM.
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Thanks for the reviews. Sorry that some were disappointing. Hopefully our "home" will return to pre-pandemic normal at some point and we can all enjoy delicious food with excellent service again.
    Ta Ta For Now. Jenn

WDW 2007, 2015 & 2020/2021 (New Year), Universal FL 2011 & 2015, DLR 2012, DCL (Dream) 2016, (Wonder) 2018

Comment

I'm so disappointed to read about your disappointments in Steakhouse 71. That is one restaurant I was looking forward to trying on our trip in April. Maybe things will improve by then.
      Louise

2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ Pop/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

• Her Dotness
        Her Dotness commented
        Editing a comment
        One can hope.

We'd never have thought Chefs could be that bad as wonderful as it always was.

It's certainly possible Stk 71 will be far better by your trip.

I do think some of the mistakes were the result of "pandemic panic." We're all still a bit frantic, I think, and mentally weary from the strain.

Good reviews. We passed on Steakhouse 71 while there last week. Glad we did now. We always include Geyser Point as a lunch stop. Food is good and such a peaceful atmosphere.

Comment

That was definitely a bit of a mixed bag. I'm relieved to hear that you enjoyed two of our favourites, the California Grill and Beaches and Cream and as for that tiramisu French toast - I'm in love already just with the sound of it. I hope it's still on the menu in a year's time. I need to try that!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

• Her Dotness
          Her Dotness commented
          Editing a comment
          Drew was unhappy at first that no syrup came with the tiramisu french toast, he told me. Then, upon digging in, he discovered the kitchen had put just enough on it to moisten and flavor but not overwhelm. The espresso flavor of good tiramisu was evident, he added.

After that, I didn't hear much from him and feared I might have to remind him not to lick the plate. 🥴

My American breakfast was really good, too, despite my being close to egged out by then. Eggs perfectly over easy with savory ham, bacon and juicy sausage links.

Btw, if anyone's ever in Calvert City, Tennessee, there's a very good Cracker Barrel a bit off I-24.

I was bad and had the deep-fried turkey special with buttered baby carrots and excellent creamy coleslaw. Drew substituted corn for my carrots, which he detests, and added cornbread muffins. An excellent country home-cookin' lunch.

Oddly, my iffy digestion was little affected by the meal, maybe because of on-the-way home relief. We're usually a bit sad going home but overall happy to have had Disney fun. This time, WDW was somewhat stressful due to pandemic errors and alterations. Even though we realized things would be different, that had more emotional impact than we anticipated.
        “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by Her Dotness View Post
          Btw, if anyone's ever in Calvert City, Tennessee, there's a very good Cracker Barrel a bit off I-24.

I was bad and had the deep-fried turkey special with buttered baby carrots and excellent creamy coleslaw. Drew substituted corn for my carrots, which he detests, and added cornbread muffins. An excellent country home-cookin' lunch.

Oddly, my iffy digestion was little affected by the meal, maybe because of on-the-way home relief. We're usually a bit sad going home but overall happy to have had Disney fun. This time, WDW was somewhat stressful due to pandemic errors and alterations. Even though we realized things would be different, that had more emotional impact than we anticipated.
          We have several Cracker Barrels near us, but don’t eat at them often because my sons are not fans. That said, the deep fried turkey is amazing. I receive emails from CB and saw the fried turkey came back earlier this month and we went to CB the next evening just so I could get it. We’ll go once more before it leaves the menu for the season.
          Louise

2018 ~ POR/YC; 2017 ~ Disney Dream/BLT; 2016 ~ BC/Poly; 2015 ~ BC/Poly (June) and Disney Fantasy (November/December); 2014 ~ Poly; 2013 ~ Disney Fantasy; 2012 ~ BCV (June) and Disney Magic (August); 2010 ~ WL; 2009 ~ Pop/CBR; 2004 ~ WL; 1996 ~ Dixie Landings; 1991 ~ CBR; 1985 ~ Fort Wilderness

Comment

Working...
          X