This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelin' Chatty

We (Susan, Cam, Cheryl and myself) thought it would be fun/nice to have a thread that lets us all chat. So, if you don't feel whatever warrants it's own thread but still want post it about it or are just feeling like chatting this is the thread you're looking for.

I'm excited as we've spend a lot of this Thanksgiving day getting our Christmas tree up and decorated. We had gotten most of the non-tree stuff up the past three days, but now our home is full of colorful lights and happy holiday stuff.
    Cam
    29 Trips to WDW
    2 Trips to DLR
    2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
    1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Had a great two hours talking to my mom while we played Yahtzee over the phone. It's surprisingly not that different to playing in person. And, in the wonderfully happy news department we found out that my cousin is pregnant with her and her husband's second child.

Comment

• Cam22
        Cam22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice Thanksgiving, I would say.

• chezp
        chezp commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats to your cousin!

We had Mom over for lunch. I made the best buttermilk pie of my life. It was just delicious, and so pretty out of the oven, beautifully browned on top. We had a nice meal.
      Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019, AoA December 2020, ASMovies Sep 2021

Comment

• Cam22
        Cam22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love it when the food I make or bake not only tastes wonderful, but also looks beautiful, too.

Ed and I made a scaled down Thanksgiving meal and took it over to my parents house. It was nice to be able to spend time with them, but I didn't have to spend the whole time cooking or watching someone else cook.
      Ta Ta For Now. Jenn

WDW 2007, 2015 & 2020/2021 (New Year), Universal FL 2011 & 2015, DLR 2012, DCL (Dream) 2016, (Wonder) 2018

Comment

• Cam22
        Cam22 commented
        Editing a comment
        My sister and I have decided to scale down Thanksgiving and Christmas the past few years. It has made the holidays so much less stressful.

Originally posted by Cam22 View Post
      I'm excited as we've spend a lot of this Thanksgiving day getting our Christmas tree up and decorated. We had gotten most of the non-tree stuff up the past three days, but now our home is full of colorful lights and happy holiday stuff.
      We're planning on doing that this weekend. Usually Mark is a bit of a grump about these things and tells me we shouldn't put the tree and decorations up until December. This year, I think he's quite looking forward to getting some Christmas cheer in the house!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Originally posted by joelsmom View Post
        We had Mom over for lunch. I made the best buttermilk pie of my life. It was just delicious, and so pretty out of the oven, beautifully browned on top. We had a nice meal.
        Ok, so I'm going to ask, as I genuinely don't have a clue. What ingredients go into a buttermilk pie? I've heard of it, but never thought about what goes into it...

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

• joelsmom
          joelsmom commented
          Editing a comment
          sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk (naturally), a bit of flour, butter, and a tiny bit of lemon juice

It’s a close relative of chess pie. It’s a custard, not fluffy, and not quite as sweet as pecan pie.

Originally posted by manticorjenn View Post
        Ed and I made a scaled down Thanksgiving meal and took it over to my parents house. It was nice to be able to spend time with them, but I didn't have to spend the whole time cooking or watching someone else cook.
        That sounds like a good compromise. Usually we go out for Christmas Day lunch, although this year, that's in the balance right now, as our restaurants can only do delivery, takeaway and collection until at least 16 December, so I've got some easy to make things in (i.e. bung it in the oven!) just in case we can't eat out.

Comment

• manticorjenn
          manticorjenn commented
          Editing a comment
          We thought it was a good compromise as none of us enjoy cooking all day and we just wanted to be together. With my parents' health issues and Covid, I didn't dare take them anywhere.

We had Thanksgiving a week early so yesterday was just like any other day. College student came home and then went this week to spend with her brother. They cook thanksgiving together which I think is so cute. Our tree is up and slowly coming together.
        I set a personal goal in 2020 to sew 50 charity quilt tops. I am in single digits I pass them on to my quilting bee and someone else sandwiches them into a quilt. Staying home from traveling has helped.

Comment

• Cam22
          Cam22 commented
          Editing a comment
          What an awesome goal!

Our youngest DS's family came for dinner. Great fun. Most of dinner was cooked in crockpots so today I will have to finish cleaning them. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the Thanksgiving decorations put away and get out the Christmas ones.
        My trips:
        1975 Honeymoon Ft Wilderness in a tent; 1985 off site; 2002 Port Orleans Riverside and last trip 2016 All Stars Music

Comment

• Cam22
          Cam22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a great holiday!

Originally posted by PatV View Post
        We had Thanksgiving a week early so yesterday was just like any other day. College student came home and then went this week to spend with her brother. They cook thanksgiving together which I think is so cute. Our tree is up and slowly coming together.
        I set a personal goal in 2020 to sew 50 charity quilt tops. I am in single digits I pass them on to my quilting bee and someone else sandwiches them into a quilt. Staying home from traveling has helped.
        Oh what a wonderful thing to do.

Comment

Please excuse the very minor rant on a quite unimportant subject. Why is it that EVERY article on kitchen organization and storage is made up almost entirely of suggestions about how to take advantage of wall space? I live in a condo with a great room (kitchen, dining and living rooms are all one big room)my kitchen is at one end of the great room and the ONLY wall space I have that is convenient for anything other than decor is the space between the counter and upper cabinets. This means that I essentially have no wall space to use. I swear every author of on of these articles seem to think and write with the delusion that every kitchen everywhere all this wall space that's just there for hanging stuff on. The only hunk of wall that I could possibly use would be the 22" hunk of wall that runs parallel to the island, and is next to the window on the opposite end of the kitchen from the pantry, sink, fridge and stove and therefore is not a convenient place to store anything that is either a frequent use item or should not be kept in front of a window. Ugh!!! Just once I'd like to see one of these articles that focuses on a one - two butt (meaning one or two people can comfortably work in it) kitchen that doesn't have this mythical unicorn of kitchen storage space that is a wall.

Comment

• manticorjenn
            manticorjenn commented
            Editing a comment
            I so hear you on that and it doesn't only apply to the kitchen. Every designer or writer thinks every room in your house has all this wall space and you can just store/display things everywhere. Well, I hate to tell you, but not every house has empty walls.

• Cam22
            Cam22 commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't read any kitchen organization ideas (nor any organization ideas for that matter), but using walls doesn't sound practical for the majority of us.

I understand and even use the concept of using vertical space when and where you can but I just wish the authors/creators of these articles/videos would recognize, understand and come to grips with the fact that not every kitchen has wall space just waiting to have things stored on it. And, imho the kitchen is definitely not the space for doing this unless you keep your counters clear. Because, if you've got stuff stored on the walls and stuff stored on the counter it's just going to end up with your kitchen looking cluttered and messy. That said I do get that some kitchens just force you to store things in ways you wouldn't otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by revral View Post
            I understand and even use the concept of using vertical space when and where you can but I just wish the authors/creators of these articles/videos would recognize, understand and come to grips with the fact that not every kitchen has wall space just waiting to have things stored on it. And, imho the kitchen is definitely not the space for doing this unless you keep your counters clear. Because, if you've got stuff stored on the walls and stuff stored on the counter it's just going to end up with your kitchen looking cluttered and messy. That said I do get that some kitchens just force you to store things in ways you wouldn't otherwise.
            Our kitchen is described as a country kitchen with an attached dining room, though I call it a U-shaped kitchen with an eat-in area. Behind our table is a portion of wall that allowed us to keep an antique pie-safe from Luke's parents. It holds a whole lot of stuff both food and dishes, and that helps me organize.
            Cam
            29 Trips to WDW
            2 Trips to DLR
            2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
            1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by revral View Post
              I think the problem is a lot of these articles expect people to have relatively big rooms and of course not everyone has. We actually feel we have less storage space in our kitchen now, compared to before we had it done in 2012. I have no idea why, as everything is still full, but we've always felt like we had less space. Strange.

Comment

Working...
              X