Two years and 8 months (or so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two years and 8 months (or so)

That's when DH and I are hoping to retire.
    Looking forward to traveling and just seeing the US and hopefully parts of the world, meeting new people and catching up with old friends.

I could retire right now if I wanted. I have 32 years with the State of Alaska and could go anytime at full retirement. DH can't quite yet.
    There are days however, that it is EVERYTHING I can do just to leave the house and go to work. My tolerance level for stupidity is practically non existent these days.
    I told someone the other day, "Don't p*** me off, I can take off until the middle of February and not miss a paycheck and still have leave time left over."
    I think an actual vacation would go a long way to helping my state of mind! Long weekends camping this summer have helped, but only just. Some days I am just grateful to get back home without having said something I will regret later to someone. Luckily, I have enough seniority and experience that I can get away with more than most (although I don't push my luck).
    Anyone out there have any advice on how to keep from ripping people's lips off until I can get on the Dream in February???

My husband has worked the same job for 40 years come January. It’s hard work and at the age of 66 he is beat. I wish he was happier about retiring next April but he’s not really because that just means he’ll be home more to have to help take care of of his 92 year old mother who is a nightmare. We’re also hoping to travel more. Believe me, you HAVE to get away from her situation from time to time. It is driving us all nuts. He hasn’t been anywhere on a vacation for 3 years. Thank goodness we have 2 vacations coming up next month. The Outer Banks and then WDW. Much needed time off!
    CINDY

Comment

• jenifermg0
      jenifermg0 commented
      Editing a comment
      THREE YEARS?!?!? OMG!!!! Sending you and him lots of pixie dust!!!!!!!
      We had our last real vacation in Jan of 2020 right before COVID made the world go sideways. I am hanging on until February.

Sending you a virtual hug. I already don’t tolerate stupid people well so I feel your pain. Perhaps the pandemic has given us all a peek behind the curtain and realize we need to treat each other better. I hope you have a good employer, with a system in place to support you and respect you. Remember the old “count to 10” before speaking in anger, yeah Im way past that. Wouldn’t it be nice if businesses could boot a rude person to the door? Hang in there!

Comment

• jenifermg0
      jenifermg0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to count to 20. Luckily a lot of what I do is via e-mail and over TEAMS so I can sit there and look at the question or response for a bit before responding. And I can type what I really want to say, delete it and retype what I should say!

Thanks for the v-hug!

I felt much the same way my last year of teaching, so I empathize with how you are feeling.
    Cam
    29 Trips to WDW
    2 Trips to DLR
    2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
    1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

• jenifermg0
      jenifermg0 commented
      Editing a comment
      My total respect goes out to teachers! You all have one of the hardest jobs on this planet!

• Cam22
      Cam22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I truly loved my job for most of the time.

My boss just told me today I’m “too smart”, I’m not a nice way. So, I practice 2 things:
    1) Ho’oponopono (Pono for short). I have a short mantra, “Thank you. I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I love you”.
    2) “S/he’s doing the best s/he can”

These are in my head accompanied by deep breathing. (Sending pixies)

Comment

• jenifermg0
      jenifermg0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use "Om mani padme hum" as way to calm down and keep from saying things I will regret later! LOL!

Oh, it is S-O-O-O hard to hold one's tongue sometimes!! I just sent out letters to income tax non filers and got a S?!T SHOW of stupid on Monday. "I forgot" (so I don't need to pay a late fee, right!!?? - um, yes you do!), "oh, I didn't owe, so I didn't think I needed to file" (like how would I know for sure you didn't owe if I don't get a return!!!!????), "why a late file fee, it's just to pay your wage" (yes, to write letters, track and chase you to file), "why so much" (state mandated), "can't you waive the fee" (nope! - also state mandated), and my all time favorite "well, no one told me I needed to file" from new residents!!!???!!! (BTW not my job, your job as a resident to find out!)

I got home after 7 pm last night and barely touched my regular day's work. At least there was a few (I think 2) that came in, with the late fee ready to pay, who didn't argue that they missed the filing date and completed everything for me!

Comment

It is very difficult sometimes when you work with people with no common sense. And unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.
      That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
      WDW September 1995 Contemporary - July 1997 & July 1998 Polynesian - July 2000, July 2003 & May 2019 Grand Floridian - October 2021 Beach Club

Comment

I have no words of advice, just lots of virtual hugs.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Went "not camping" this weekend. Had friends set up with their camper out at a campground about 15 minutes from our house. Went out Friday afternoon/night and all day Saturday (but came home at night and slept in own bed). Sat around a campfire. Enjoyed the woods. Laughed. Got silly. Had a couple adult beverages. Pretended the rest of the world didn't exist.

In a much better frame of mind! Now I just have to make it to February without losing it!

Comment

Originally posted by jenifermg0 View Post
            Went "not camping" this weekend. Had friends set up with their camper out at a campground about 15 minutes from our house. Went out Friday afternoon/night and all day Saturday (but came home at night and slept in own bed). Sat around a campfire. Enjoyed the woods. Laughed. Got silly. Had a couple adult beverages. Pretended the rest of the world didn't exist.

In a much better frame of mind! Now I just have to make it to February without losing it!
            Sounds like that was just what you needed.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

• jenifermg0
              jenifermg0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! Especially considering that we woke up to about half an inch of snow/slush!
              Winter isn't coming, it's here.
              And this girl sure as heck does not winter camp. LOL!!!!
          Working...
          X