If you let Teresa paint....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you let Teresa paint....

So, 10 days ago I mentioned to DH that I was finally ready to paint the dining room and remove the awful 1980s wallpaper on the bottom 1/3 of the wall, as well as the chair rail. We've been here for 15.5 years and the living room and dining room are still the colors they were when we moved in.
    I just wanted to paint. Well, that was my intention. DH says "as long as we have all the heavy stuff out of the room, why not replace the flooring? " Oh, thank goodness. 15.5 year old carpet that has for the last 1.5 years had a baby/toddler eating on it. Then, he says "What do you think of the getting a new light fixture? "
    So - to recap. I wanted to paint.
    We are now:
    Replacing the flooring (laminate)
    Painting
    Replacing the light fixture
    Replacing the light switch
    and - bonus - replacing the window covering

A 2 day project has become a 2 week project. Hoping it's done by next weekend! (we do all home improvement things ourselves). And as soon as it's done, we're painting the living room. That will not have new flooring, yet.

**** So, Update - the dining room floor is not level. We'll be leveling it out tomorrow and THEN laying the new flooring. At least the painting is done! Then, it's just a case of putting the baseboards back, putting in transition pieces from the other rooms, and moving the furniture back in. THEN - we'll paint the living room. We'll take down the curtains and hardware, and patch about 3 nail holes but other than that - we will not be doing as much in the living room as we are/did in the dining
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-16-2021, 03:33 PM. Reason: UPDATE

You sound like me. I needed a new dishwasher. My DS bought one and was going to put it in. The piping is old and he said "frozen" and he didn't want to break it. So, last week, I called in a plumber to look at that little job.
    We discussed things and now I am having the dishwasher installed, a new kitchen sink and faucet on it and new quartz countertops with new backsplash. This week, he is having countertop samples brought over for me the select. So my little project turned out to be a bigger update. I am excited about this. He told me it can be done in the next couple of weeks. Of course,I don't want work being done Thanksgiving week.....so maybe the week after.
    Good luck with your projects.

Comment

I totally need to do this in my kitchen....but I need to start with the ceiling. We had a leak and right now we had to remove some completely destroyed tiles and they are so old that I can't find matching replacements. And it is going to morph into a lot more work....I want new cabinets and countertop and a new sink/faucet wouldn't upset me either. And since we are at it...new flooring would be amazing!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I hear you about this. We started in our last house with I wanted a plate rack in our kitchen and, by the time we finished, we had an entire new kitchen!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

This sounds like our house, too. I needed new flooring in the kitchen/breakfast nook area. That turned into new flooring in those rooms as well as the front and back foyers, the hallway, the bathroom, the laundry room, the office, and the family room. And that in turn has turned into all new furniture in the office because it's old and will look horrible on the new flooring (plus, that means we can just haul all that stuff out the front door and I won't have to move it twice while having the flooring done. We'll have the new stuff delivered after the flooring is complete (in 2 weeks). And I also decided I needed a new faucet and cabinet knobs in the kitchen...and possibly a backsplash. So a little flooring project that was going to cost less than $2,000 is now probably going to be closer to $10K by the time it's all said and done. 🤷
          WDW Visits: March 1979 Offsite; April 1979 Offsite; April 1981 Offsite; June 2001 ASMo; June 2004 Pop; May 2009 Pop; June 2011 Pop; June 2013 AoA Lion King; June 2015 AoA Lion King; June 2016 AoA Nemo; June 2018 AoA Lion King; ̶J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶ ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶; J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶1 ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶: June 2022 AoA Lion King

Comment

Small update:
            Painting in the dining room is complete as of this morning.
            The new light switch has been installed, but we won't place the new light fixture until after all the construction is done.
            The light switch is white, while all TWO of the outlets in the room are cream. New outlets will be installed tonight.
            DH is at this very moment putting thin sanded plywood (luan) down - this will give a smooth and even surface to install the flooring.
            Flooring should be installed tomorrow.
            And then, we will be able to move all of the furniture back into the room - and paint the living room. We will ONLY be painting for now.

We have had one casualty thus far: I have a water pitcher and glass that were my grandmother's. They were given to my grandparents for their wedding in 1935. They were not new then. When we moved the dining room stuff out, I expected this to take less than a week, so all of the china and such was just set on the floor in the living room. It was declared off limits to Grandson. DH is grandson's care-giver during the week while DD works. DH thought he'd get some work done on the dining room, which is connected to the living room through an arch. Bet you can guess where this is going. We lost one of the glasses. I'm a little upset, because I could have predicted that if I'd known DH was going to take the baby in there (he's 2). However, it was just one glass. It wasn't in a good place to be safe. Teresa's zen was restored not too long after this...

Comment

That sounds just like how Luke and I do projects.
              Cam
              29 Trips to WDW
              2 Trips to DLR
              2 Disney Cruises (Wonder and Magic)
              1 Trip to Aulani/Hawaii

Comment

Sorry about the glass. Sounds like you're making good progress.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

That is a bummer about the glass. Losing things like that can be heartbreaking. I guess the positive thing is it was a glass and not the pitcher.

Makes me think of our earthquake back in 2018. It was a shaker (7.0!!!). I have a set of glasses that were my mom's. She passed back in 2012. I was at work during the quake. After everything stopped moving and I checked that nothing bad had happed to all my stuff here at work, I headed for home, expecting the worst! Got home, the cats were freaked out (to be expected). The was stuff all over. But amazingly, one of the glasses had fallen from it's spot in a stemware rack on my hutch to the floor and was COMPLETELY undamaged. In addition, the lid from a decorative yellow glass jar (lid was glass too) fell from the TOP of the hutch and was also undamaged. I am convinced to this day that my mom helped them to the floor and kept them from breaking.

Unfortunately, my sister had a cake plate break on the stem (she is working to get it repaired/braced with a filigree collar). The cake plate is a family heirloom that is passed from Grandmom to her first granddaughter and it came across the US in a covered wagon!!!!!!!! She actually lost a LOT of glassware in the quake and the fact that only the stem/pedestal is all that broke on it is kind of a miracle in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jenifermg0 View Post
                    That is a bummer about the glass. Losing things like that can be heartbreaking. I guess the positive thing is it was a glass and not the pitcher.

Makes me think of our earthquake back in 2018. It was a shaker (7.0!!!). I have a set of glasses that were my mom's. She passed back in 2012. I was at work during the quake. After everything stopped moving and I checked that nothing bad had happed to all my stuff here at work, I headed for home, expecting the worst! Got home, the cats were freaked out (to be expected). The was stuff all over. But amazingly, one of the glasses had fallen from it's spot in a stemware rack on my hutch to the floor and was COMPLETELY undamaged. In addition, the lid from a decorative yellow glass jar (lid was glass too) fell from the TOP of the hutch and was also undamaged. I am convinced to this day that my mom helped them to the floor and kept them from breaking.

Unfortunately, my sister had a cake plate break on the stem (she is working to get it repaired/braced with a filigree collar). The cake plate is a family heirloom that is passed from Grandmom to her first granddaughter and it came across the US in a covered wagon!!!!!!!! She actually lost a LOT of glassware in the quake and the fact that only the stem/pedestal is all that broke on it is kind of a miracle in itself.
                    Oh my goodness, that was a shaker! Wow. Sorry about that cake plate, especially as it had already survived so much in its past.

Comment

Just a little update: It took until just Tuesday night to FINISH the room, and then another 3 days to get everything from the room back in and cleaned up. It's all together now - and we're all happy with the results!! It's gorgeous and feels so much more open and welcoming. Grandbaby likes stomping around the floor with his shoes on - because it echoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa View Post
                        Just a little update: It took until just Tuesday night to FINISH the room, and then another 3 days to get everything from the room back in and cleaned up. It's all together now - and we're all happy with the results!! It's gorgeous and feels so much more open and welcoming. Grandbaby likes stomping around the floor with his shoes on - because it echoes!
                        Glad it's all done. Love the image of the stomping around!

Comment

You are making me want to take time off from work and paint in my living room....but it's Christmas and with getting the tree out and all, that is probably a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jenifermg0 View Post
                            You are making me want to take time off from work and paint in my living room....but it's Christmas and with getting the tree out and all, that is probably a bad idea.
                            It's probably not the best time to do it... maybe January?

Comment

Working...
                            X