Hints, Tips, Tricks & Hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints, Tips, Tricks & Hacks

I thought it might be fun and useful to share the hints, tips, tricks & hacks that we that make things a little quicker and or a little easier.

If you have a recipe you love and make regularly that requires multiple spices/herbs (dried not fresh) make your own custom spice/herb blend according to the recipe amounts. I have a chili mac recipe that I love that requires 2tsp. chili powder and 1tsp. ground cumin. So, I mixed 4TBL. chili powder and 2TBL. ground cumin together and put them in an empty spice jar which I then labeled with chili mac 1TBL / recipe. Now the next time I make chili mac I can just pull out the tablespoon and the chili mac spice jar.

For hand soap in the kitchen I mix approximately 1 part dish soap (I use Dawn) and 3 or 4 parts regular liquid hand soap together and put that in a soap dispenser. I find washing my hands with straight dish soap (even Dawn) to be too drying but regular hand soap doesn't cut the oily and greasy residue that can end up on your hands when cooking and baking. I've found that the addition of a little bit of dish soap to regular hand soap is enough to cut that oily and greasy residue that can end up on your hands but the regular hand soap keeps it from too drying even after repeated hand washings.

Comment

• Cam22
      Cam22 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do something similar with cinnamon and sugar to make it easier to make cinnamon toast or as my mom called it "poor kid's dessert." We had it a lot growing up and I still love.

• Her Dotness
      Her Dotness commented
      Editing a comment
      Another idea is to make your own seasoning salt mixes.

I save herb/spice jars and add some rice to absorb moisture. If the shaker holes are large enough to allow the rice through, enclose it in cheesecloth or a piece of coffee filter tied with kitchen twine or thread. No anti-caking chemicals to wonder about, much cheaper, too.

Mark Bittman has some terrific ideas for salt mixes in his cookbooks. Probably online, also.

• jenifermg0
      jenifermg0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found multiple copy-cat recipes for various spice mixes that we love to use...been making my own for a few years now and like the flavors so much more!
      This is a great idea!!!

Reheat Pizza Perfectly--far better than nuking it. The crust will be as crispy as when you first got it. Really!

This is for leftover pizza straight from the freezer. Check after 10 minutes if only cold from the fridge.

Put slices on an edged baking sheet (the kind called a half sheet or jellyroll pan) and cover tightly with foil. If you've only a slice or two, a cake pan works fine, too. Two 16" slices fit nicely in a 9" square cake pan, for reference.

Place pan on lowest rack of COLD oven and turn to 275 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Heating very thin crust, individual pizza-sized slices works well at 250 degrees for less time, about 10-15 minutes.

Good idea to check after about half the amount of time as ovens vary, and you may prefer yours warm rather than cheese-meltingly hot.

(Credit to America's Test Kitchen for this method)
    Last edited by Her Dotness; 10-13-2020, 02:50 PM.
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

Easiest Oven Rack Cleaning EVER

Lay an old towel or other cloth larger than your racks in the bathtub. Put grubby oven racks on the towel or cloth and run enough very hot water to just cover racks.

Add about 1/2 cup dishwashing liquid and 4-6 dryer sheets, swishing a bit to raise suds. Leave for 8-12 hours, depending how gruesome your racks are.

You'll probably find you can use the dryer sheets to scrub off the baked-on grunge. If not, a scrub sponge will do it.

Rinse well, let racks dry and replace in your clean oven.

I am not kidding. Getting baked-on grime off the racks will be vastly easier than scouring it off otherwise. I usually find that the dryer sheets take off most of it.
      “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

When making your bed to make it easier to get the fitted sheet on securely do opposite corners. So if you start with the bottom left corner then do the upper right. And once I've done the first two corners the third corner is the other one on the side I ended on. It sounds ridiculous and I know I thought, "yeah right," what difference can that possibly make. Well, I finally got around to trying this tip and to utter amazement getting the fitted sheet on properly and securely was an absolute breeze. I'm sure that there is a reason why this tip works but I have absolutely no idea what that reason is.

Comment

• jenifermg0
          jenifermg0 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to try this!
      Working...
      X