Weird weight loss trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird weight loss trick

Read an article about how film star Kathy Bates lost 60 lbs. and has kept it off. Among typical things like healthier choices, she said something very weird. She was studying mindfulness while endeavoring to lose weight and was told that when a person has had enough to eat, your body will emit an involuntary sigh.

I thought, “Yeeeaaah, rrriiiggghht.”

And then I tried paying closer attention as I finished both breakfast and lunch today.

Durned if it doesn’t work! Just as I began feeling a bit full, I could not resist the urge to sigh.

Call that the power of suggestion if you prefer, but I was somewhat amazed to find that I truly felt I’d eaten enough after thinking about it.

Who knows? Maybe there is something to this very strange idea.
    “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2021--PVV/VGF; WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// Drew to WDW several times in the 70's/1984; Me DL 1967.

Very interesting as your body is the one to tell you everything you need to know about with things like this and when something is wrong.
    Trips:95-2K,06&13-Italy, Switz, France, UK, Holland, Germany, Austria, Czech, Lich, Eire, Spain, Portugal, Moroc; 98-Nat.Parks(CA, AZ, UT & NV) 99-Vegas, 01-Austr, NZ&HA, 05-Memphis, 11-Austin:ACL& Orlando:Bay Hill;13-Paris & East France;15-Memphis;18-Vegas
    WDW:02-WL, 03-CSR, 04-AKL, 05-BWI, 07-POR, BC, 08-CG Omni & CBR, 09-Poly, POR(Decade of Dreams), 10-POFQ, GF, 11-POFQ, 12-CSR,WL, 14-POR, 15-DCL Magic-West Caribbean, 16-B Resort, 17-USF:Royal Pacific/WDW Dolphin

Comment

That’s interesting and I’ll have to pay attention next time I eat. I have heard that you should eat slowly and take at least 20 minutes to eat cause that’s how long it takes to signal your brain that you are full. I wonder if that coincides with the sigh? Although with my dieting lately I hardly eat till I’m full anymore.
      CINDY

Comment

That's really interesting. I know near the end of my meals, I've caught myself sighing but I thought it was due more to my indecision of "should I just finish what's on my plate or should I not?" I think from now on if I find myself doing that, I'm going to take it as a sign to leave whatever is on my plate there and not even attempt to finish it, even if it's only a bite or two.
        Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Comment

I’ve found that a few bites more (literally no more than 3-4) didn’t tip me over into feeling too full, but I didn’t push it past that with the oatmeal this morning. Left over half what I’d usually have eaten and felt I’d eaten enough.

I’ve read that you’ll lose weight if you stop eating when you feel 80% full because you’ve likely gained weight by ignoring your body’s “enough” signals. That seemed impossible to determine. How would you calculate that??? Except, I noticed when I sighed that I felt as though I’d eaten enough but wasn’t really full. Maybe that’s how you tell you’ve hit your 80%.

This is TOO weird but does seem to me to work.
          “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2021--PVV/VGF; WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// Drew to WDW several times in the 70's/1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

That’s pretty interesting! I’m going to give it a whirl tomorrow.
            Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019, AoA December 2020, ASMovies Sep 2021

Comment

I'll have to pay attention to this tomorrow when I'm eating. I am very mindful as to when I have satisfied my hunger and that's when I stop eating (rather than continuing on until I feel "full" -- I stop when I'm no longer hungry), so I might not actually get to the "sigh" stage...but I'm going to see what happens tomorrow. A nutritionist once told me that we should not do anything else while we're eating -- no watching TV, no reading, no intense conversations, etc. -- and just listen to our body telling us when we're no longer hungry. Most of us just eat until we feel full because that is a very recognizable feeling and doesn't require any concentration. The feeling of simply satisfying our hunger requires a more focused observation.
              WDW Visits: March 1979 Offsite; April 1979 Offsite; April 1981 Offsite; June 2001 ASMo; June 2004 Pop; May 2009 Pop; June 2011 Pop; June 2013 AoA Lion King; June 2015 AoA Lion King; June 2016 AoA Nemo; June 2018 AoA Lion King; ̶J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶ ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶; J̶u̶n̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶1 ̶L̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶: June 2022 AoA Lion King

Comment

Very interesting....

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

That's pretty cool. I think I just need to sigh sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanneS View Post
                    That's pretty cool. I think I just need to sigh sooner.
                    I know that feeling!

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Something to think about and try out. I am a slow eater (way slower than the rest of my family). I'm going to start paying more attention and tell them about this too. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey View Post
                        Something to think about and try out. I am a slow eater (way slower than the rest of my family). I'm going to start paying more attention and tell them about this too. Thanks!
                        It’s really eerie, I think.

I’m a slow eater, too, so often could stop before I feel stuffed but simply don’t—until learning about this. I’m finding with the “sigh alert” that I feel fine on less than half what I’d ordinarily eat.

I often hadn’t felt very hungry by the next mealtime so clearly have been eating too much.

It will be interesting to see if this continues to work for me. I need to lose about 10 of those pounds that will NOT leave and stay away. We shall see.

Anybody else want to report back in a month or so on how it works for you?

Comment

I did mindfulness training as a way of controlling the anxiety I developed when I was sick. There are lots of videos on line and it is a reat way of dealing with anxiety. We did mindful eatinf as part of the program, which was so effective if you needed to slow down your eating.

Comment

Working...
                          X