How to set up contactless payment for UO/IOA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up contactless payment for UO/IOA

So, Universal is naturally encouraging contactless payment these days. You can set that up through their app, but they tell me my only options are standard debit and credit cards. I am hesitant to enter my debit card number into any company’s “wallet.” So, I could use a credit card and pay it off when I get home, or I suppose I could buy those pre-paid Visa or MasterCard types and load them into the wallet. In the past, I’ve had trouble with using them along the Interstate, with gas stations placing holds on the funds for 24 hours. That’s pretty annoying when you’re trying to avoid going into the store to pay for gasoline, but the funds on your pre-paid card are locked for 24 hours! However, maybe UO might be different for using such payment, you think?

WWYD? I do plan to take some cash, but if I can be a good guest and use contactless payment, I would like to be cooperative.

My own personal credit card into the wallet?
    Pre-paid cards into the wallet?
    Cash?
    Perhaps some of all three?
    Last edited by joelsmom; 06-22-2020, 03:50 PM.
    Susan

DLR off-site June 1979, WDW offsite March 1985, ASMovies June 2002, ASSports May 2006, ASMusic May/June 2007, ASSports May 2008, Pop Century May/June 2010, Coronado Springs October 2011, ASSports May/June 2012, Pop Century May/June 2013, ASMovies October 2013, DLR off-site June 2014, ASMusic May/June 2015, ASSports May/June 2016, ASMovies October 2016, Pop Century May/June 2017, MNSSHP October 2017, ASSports March 2018, Pop Century July 2019

I would go with the ease of your credit card. You do have to pay a small fee to purchase a one of those visa or MC cards. I would keep some cash on you just in case of an unexpected issue.

Comment

When I worked retail, those pre-paid cards were a pain when the purchase total exceeded what was on the card. The card would simply be declined and a hold for x-amount of time imposed. On some, you even had to call the card issuer before the remaining balance would be freed for use again.

I use ApplePay as much as possible because it generates a fake number every time it's used to make theft of your actual credit card number less likely. That's what I'd use if Universal isn't like Walmart which makes you sign up for their version.

A credit card is simpler for you, I agree, as well as more secure.

ETA: You're wise, IMO, not to enter your debit card number into anything like that. I won't use my debit card anywhere but in our bank's ATMs. Just too risky these days.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 06-16-2020, 09:50 AM.
      “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” —Winnie-the-Pooh

WDW 11/2019-VGF/BRV; WDW 11/2018–VGF; WDW10/2017--VGF; WDW 12/2015--GF; WDW 11/2014--WL; WDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower /// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1967.

Comment

• joelsmom
        joelsmom commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I’m well aware of the issues of the pre-paid cards that have an insufficient balance, as my 2nd job is retail. I know the frustrations associated with that, but if I use one, I would keep up with the balance. The more I consider it, though, the more I think I just don’t want to fool with those.

I would use ApplePay, but it isn’t an accepted form of payment for pre-order of food through the app. The credit card sounds best, I guess, with some cash as backup.

• Her Dotness
        Her Dotness commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, well, you know the frustration of those stupid cards then.

Sorry, was unaware I was preaching to the choir.​​

Boy! did I ever hate getting yelled at because there was a balance on the card, so it shouldn't have been declined.

I would go with the credit card as if somehow the number is taken, you can call and have it taken care of. If you put in a debit number, that money still comes from you first and then you'd have to wait for it to be investigated before getting it back - and even if it's only a couple of days, that could be an ouch. At least on the credit card, you can let it sit there until it's corrected, it's not coming out of your pocket.

If you're uncomfortable with it, just because they're encouraging contactless payment doesn't mean you have to do it. At the end of the day, the decision I would make is one that I'm most comfortable with regardless of what UO (or even Disney) would want.
      Darlene

My Previous Trips: All WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music - August 2015 AS Music - August 2016 AS Music - August 2018 AS Music, Kate (lovewdw2) joined us for the weekend

Comment

I use my credit card for anything like that and my/our card is stored on lots of apps - I have three different ones just to pay for parking, as different local government over here use different local systems, then there's the online shopping, so it really doesn't bother me. Our card providers are very good at spotting any fraud.

Enjoying some relaxation time on the Transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic - I'm Cheryl and with my husband Mark, we love visiting Disney and exploring the world...

Comment

Working...
        X